What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
JLipinski

Re: What do you want to be implemented in the next build?

Post by JLipinski » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:31 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote:Check around other links on the forum about this topic. It's harder than you think for this type of game.
Timbles wrote:Can't new accounts read?
I say this because it would be a major selling point to the game. People here have been asking for it, it shows a lot of promise, and it would likely sell the game easier. Couple this with Wolfire's previous ventures into handling netcode for games involving Desperate Gods and Lowlight Combat, and it seems like a surmountable task given prior art on the subject. In his last video, David concluded saying that he wants to work on a playable single player campaign, which is a good call because people have been waiting a long while for that, but the next major thing that would provide interest in the community would be to develop online multiplayer. I'm not well versed in networking code, so I don't know if there's intermediate steps to nice code that could be reached. Having something like LAN would be nice to see even if it were short of internet connection.

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:30 pm

JLipinski wrote:
Jack of All Trades wrote:Check around other links on the forum about this topic. It's harder than you think for this type of game.
Timbles wrote:Can't new accounts read?
I say this because it would be a major selling point to the game. People here have been asking for it, it shows a lot of promise, and it would likely sell the game easier. Couple this with Wolfire's previous ventures into handling netcode for games involving Desperate Gods and Lowlight Combat, and it seems like a surmountable task given prior art on the subject. In his last video, David concluded saying that he wants to work on a playable single player campaign, which is a good call because people have been waiting a long while for that, but the next major thing that would provide interest in the community would be to develop online multiplayer. I'm not well versed in networking code, so I don't know if there's intermediate steps to nice code that could be reached. Having something like LAN would be nice to see even if it were short of internet connection.
For LAN, try using controllers on the same computer. There is a map somewhere you can download that lets you play with four players at once.

JLipinski

Post by JLipinski » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Jack of All Trades wrote:For LAN, try using controllers on the same computer. There is a map somewhere you can download that lets you play with four players at once.
I'm aware of that; using one computer is not a network.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Implementing net code where there was none before is a herculanian task. The developer has said that he'll look into it after the majority of the engine is done, as he'd have to re-write crucial parts of the engine's code from scratch so it would work. He also doesn't have a lot of experience with net code (look at Low-Light Combat), so the first iterations will have problems.

kibaoo

Post by kibaoo » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:53 pm

there is no good multiplayer experience without dedicated servers.
My daydream is, beeing able to make funny maps with some random strangers who joined my server. we can place objects, upload scripts and shit... making some random bandit-bounty-rpg system with money and rewards, random loot, quests, spawn enemies and testing on the fly. upload this map later on steamworkshop to share with others.

u know, similar to the wc3 editor... but multiplayer with all that sync-shit feature from dropbox. the box is the server.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 pm

kibaoo wrote:there is no good multiplayer experience without dedicated servers.
My daydream is, beeing able to make funny maps with some random strangers who joined my server. we can place objects, upload scripts and shit... making some random bandit-bounty-rpg system with money and rewards, random loot, quests, spawn enemies and testing on the fly. upload this map later on steamworkshop to share with others.

u know, similar to the wc3 editor... but multiplayer with all that sync-shit feature from dropbox. the box is the server.
Doable but not in Overgrowth. E.g. new Divinity has many of those features.

Corpsey

Post by Corpsey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 pm

To be honest, I don't even think people would care too much about desync, as long as it's not constant to the point of looking like people are rubber banding 90% of the time. How bad could it be?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:01 am

Corpsey wrote:To be honest, I don't even think people would care too much about desync, as long as it's not constant to the point of looking like people are rubber banding 90% of the time. How bad could it be?
David mentioned somewhere that multiplayer is doable, but the focus is on single-player. I think it's similar to Mount&Blade which only got it in expansion.

Viomi

Post by Viomi » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:17 am

I'm most excited for the different races having different combat and fighting abilities.

For instance, I think the cats should be able to claw by default; Their usual attacks causing bleeding and more damage than the regular little punches. Less knockback, but more scratch. Like having a knife at all times. I also think cats should be able to climb to make up for their lack of jump; After all, I'm sure I'm not the only one here with a cat that has gotten stuck up a 50 ft tree.

I think Rats should be able to take a bit more of a beating and roll around more for better escapes, and most of all be good at hiding... Perhaps pickpocketing?

But yeah, the main features I want are climbing to make up for the weaker jumps, as well as new combat to balance them out. I'm excited the way things are going with this game, though! 8)

Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Also, dogs and wolves could have more punch-based attacks compared to other races. Maybe biting attacks could be possible for all races, but more powerful for dogs/wolves.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:14 pm

I would enjoy the ability to change the pace of my character with the mouse wheel with obvious consequences on the sneak system.
I read this suggestion somewhere and found it pretty valid, even if I would add that during combat the character should move obligatorily at full speed.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Sehiro wrote:I would enjoy the ability to change the pace of my character with the mouse wheel with obvious consequences on the sneak system.
I read this suggestion somewhere and found it pretty valid, even if I would add that during combat the character should move obligatorily at full speed.
I always found this a bit clunky in Splinter Cell. I think running, sprinting, walking and sneaking/crouching is really enough.

kopcorp

Post by kopcorp » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am

I would like to be able to switch the hand my weapon is in like in the older alphas, but still able to do the spin move.

Ninjaplayer

Post by Ninjaplayer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:37 am

Yestin wrote:I really want spears to be thrown like spears.
In the new update they are :!:

Ninjaplayer

Post by Ninjaplayer » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:37 am

I want kangaroos or possums.