Can you Imagine DMM technology in Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Can you Imagine DMM technology in Overgrowth?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08 pm

Haha no although those were supposedly fantastic. In fact, a lot of the fans of the original Shadowrun series hate the newer Shadowrun game. That's not surprising, since the newer game and the old SNES games have practically no gameplay similarities other than the setting.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:22 am

actually we can allready create faked dmm with phys blocks as I've learned to master in source

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:57 pm

m3nace wrote:actually we can allready create faked dmm with phys blocks as I've learned to master in source
Yes, though I'm not sure of the drain it would put on the comp. I've never actually done sudo-DMM in Source, but I would think that having all of those physics objects would really put a strain on the computer.

Maybe not, I don't really know. :P

Also, I saw a bit of it, and it's really more destroyable walls in parts, rather than a physically active material. Or I might have been watching the wrong video.

Luke!

Post by Luke! » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:35 am

looks realy cool but i think this is some technologie which will be used in 2-3 years because now the average computers can't run that so fast i think
also maybe it's a cool technologie but i what i want to know is if it takes much effort to make everything looks like it shoud look or if it is realy easy to do that
but i can imagine that this could be placed very well, not just that it looks good if it is destroyed, also maybe some kind of physic thing where you have to deform a metal door so much with your gun or another weapon that you can open it or don't know what else

but yeah maybe it's something for lugaru 3, we'll see :wink:

agarrett

Post by agarrett » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:56 pm

I really hope a dev comments on this. I've looked at DMM for a little while, longer then this thread was posted. I think it would be awesome if they could implement this into the game.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:53 pm

It is way too expensive for an indie company like wolfire to be buying, and since they are trying to make the graphics options scalable enough that even those with slow pc's can play the game. DMM is a pretty intense physics engine, most pc's wont be able to run it acceptably.
Last edited by Dudeman on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:17 pm

For Lugaru 3, definitely. However as things stand now it would take way too much time to implement something like this, and now already a year into development Wolfire cannot avoid not to get this game out the door as soon as possible.

Something that may be a bit more feasible, and just as impressive in some cases, is pre-calculated physics. Basically you calculate the movement of objects in 3D beforehand, similar to baking shadows in the editor, but for movement, and then play that back as an animation when needed. They used it for example in half life 2, episode 2 for a lot of really huge, spectacular collapses/explosions. Though there might not be a lot of applications of this, since it's more of a cinematic effect, but Jeff said that it could easily be implemented.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:09 am

if DMM could be implemented into OG seamlessly, without overburdening computers, hat would be amazing! Imagine fights in dry bamboo forests! or leg cannoning a rabbit through the wall of a house! it would be incredible. it wouldnt add MUCH to the gameplay, maybe it would allow setting up complex traps. unfortunately i don't think, on today's systems, it would be implementable to a satisfactory degree. you also have to keep the 'uncanny valley' in mind. Im pretty sure it can apply to physics and object dynamics as-well :3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley :)

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote:you also have to keep the 'uncanny valley' in mind. Im pretty sure it can apply to physics and object dynamics as-well :3
I don't think it applies as much with physical objects. The reason being that you have less of a mental connection to inanimate objects. You might hit a small uncanny bump, with objects shattering unrealistically into lots of small pieces, but other than that, I think physics in games have advanced enough to make interaction realistic.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:52 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:
Mike_Cuzins wrote:you also have to keep the 'uncanny valley' in mind. Im pretty sure it can apply to physics and object dynamics as-well :3
I don't think it applies as much with physical objects. The reason being that you have less of a mental connection to inanimate objects. You might hit a small uncanny bump, with objects shattering unrealistically into lots of small pieces, but other than that, I think physics in games have advanced enough to make interaction realistic.
i disagree. take grand theft auto 4 for example. the ragdoll physics, isnt this supposed to be the most realistic physical behaviour? i believe it less than HL2's ragdolls. i do agree that it doesnt apply to the same degree but i seriously am happy with cartoonish physics, than almost real physics. but thats just me. :mrgreen:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:00 am

Mike_Cuzins wrote:i disagree. take grand theft auto 4 for example. the ragdoll physics, isnt this supposed to be the most realistic physical behaviour? i believe it less than HL2's ragdolls. i do agree that it doesnt apply to the same degree but i seriously am happy with cartoonish physics, than almost real physics. but thats just me. :mrgreen:
Ragdoll physics is usually about humans. Uncanny Valley comes when human don't look quite like humans, or don't move quite like humans. Elbows going the wrong way, fingers snapping, boneless spines/legs etc. Physical/inanimate objects would be things like clothes, rubber ducks, bouncing balls etc.

Having very poor simulation could cause "it doesn't work like that" effect, but I think even games can use pretty good simulations these days so most people probably won't notice anything.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:09 am

Don't open. That. Door!

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:56 am

Endoperez wrote:
Mike_Cuzins wrote:i disagree. take grand theft auto 4 for example. the ragdoll physics, isnt this supposed to be the most realistic physical behaviour? i believe it less than HL2's ragdolls. i do agree that it doesnt apply to the same degree but i seriously am happy with cartoonish physics, than almost real physics. but thats just me. :mrgreen:
Ragdoll physics is usually about humans. Uncanny Valley comes when human don't look quite like humans, or don't move quite like humans. Elbows going the wrong way, fingers snapping, boneless spines/legs etc. Physical/inanimate objects would be things like clothes, rubber ducks, bouncing balls etc.

Having very poor simulation could cause "it doesn't work like that" effect, but I think even games can use pretty good simulations these days so most people probably won't notice anything.
yeah sorry, i realised i was using a shit example after i posted. i stand by what i said, but to a lesser degree everytime there's a reply :p

tokage

Post by tokage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:30 am

Here, I come to back you up.
I would agree, that there is something like an uncanny valley for physics. The biggest problems modern physics simulations have is a kind of jiggering effect, when crates, etc. you move get stuck and oscillate between two states, something you just don't have in the real world because the real world is not discrete (it is real :) ). There still are other things, like hovering physics objects, clipping errors, whatever, I suppose.
For me this brakes immersion, so uncanny valley like effect.