Can you Imagine DMM technology in Overgrowth?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Razura

Can you Imagine DMM technology in Overgrowth?

Post by Razura » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:36 pm

Imagine this: You are in a market like street, and an enemy drops down slightly to your right, seemingly a small time crook, you decide to put him in his place, you run at him, and perform a flying kick, and legcannon him into a wooden post, the post breaks in the exact places the enemy struck it, splinters and cracks, the wooden structure its supporting collapses over wear the beam was shattered, and a large crate slides off it and smashes into the floor, landing on a corner and breaking like real wood. the cables attached to the wooden structure snap, and flop like ropes to the floor. suddenly 2 wolves jump down ontop of the roofs and put large dents into them.

DMM technology (Digital Molecular Matter) could make this all possible, While this is unlikely to happen in Overgrowth, if a third game was to be released it could well make the game tons better.

Allow me to show you some DMM videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkHzKUrp-fs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAnXolin ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0X9WC9Q ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q_1t2LS ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRMltf04 ... re=related

This in Lugaru3 would be AMAZIN'

Zaphon

Re: Can you Imagine DMM technology in Overgrowth?

Post by Zaphon » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Eh. The technology is impressive, but not really necessary for Overgrowth. It's probably fairly demanding processor-wise. You can have fun physics interaction without it. But it is fairly cool in Star Wars: Unleashed, as far as I've seen (I've only played the demo).

I saw on the Pixelux site that "If you are an independent developer studio and want to try the DMM Engine, we can provide you with an evaluation kit" which is cool. But isn't it expensive to license? (If you have Maya, you can download a DMM-plugin)

Though David has worked on some softbody physics in the past, I wonder if he's implementing something like that in Overgrowth? So far, the physics-based animation stuff is pretty impressive.
Last edited by Zaphon on Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k11IOr82H-0 they made their own kind of destructible stuff almost.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:05 am

yeah Lucus arts has made it so only they can have dmm, but I think Havok have a destruction engine too now. But anyway from the videos it seems there is no advanced destruction engine anyway
Somebody said this in a comment

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:13 am

hehe... hehe... yeah... stupid people on youtube

Michiyo

Post by Michiyo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:26 am

Actually i suggested that for a different game (Portalized) and people said they wont support independent developers, but if it comes with an SDK, maybe they were wrong :D i would love Overgrowth + DMM, imagine kicking down a tree and wacking some enemies down with it or kicking the wooden support out from under a cat lookout tower. :D

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:56 am

I'd guess that this is hella expensive, both to license or recreate.

I'd love to see someone recreate this in 2D, though. I'd think that is a lot more feasible to do without big business backing.

Ac30

Post by Ac30 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 am

NaturalMotion and DMM look fucking awesome, but if they have a price tag like SpeedTree then there is no chance at all Wolfire could liscense it. Besides, I believe the team already expiremented with wall destruction.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:43 pm

The wall that the dev's experimented used some kind of cellular automata to determine which bricks should fall when shot. This isn't really how DMM works. DMM deforms dynamically, rather than using specifc blocks to fall.

Implementing DMM in OverGrowth would either be extremely difficult or very expensive, and it would really only be for the 'cool' factor.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:38 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:The wall that the dev's experimented used some kind of cellular automata to determine which bricks should fall when shot. This isn't really how DMM works. DMM deforms dynamically, rather than using specifc blocks to fall.

Implementing DMM in OverGrowth would either be extremely difficult or very expensive, and it would really only be for the 'cool' factor.
I think DMM and euphoria have awesome "fun" factor as well.

A Gmod remake with them would be amazing.

Razura

Post by Razura » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:34 am

i dont mean for overgrowth, i mean for the Lugaru3, if it is ever made, but even then not like entire maps of DMM, just a few wooden posts or stone pillars.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:41 am

Well... If doing all this trouble just for a few wooden posts or stone pillars, that would be a waste of money.

Razura

Post by Razura » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:32 am

mhm, but think about it, if Overgrowth sells well, then they will have more money to spend on Lugaru3, if it happens, and will likely do more than just wood and pillars, its not THAT much..*checks Pixelux* ok well the Maya Plugin is $399, thats about £200, still cheaper than i expected, but obviously, if they bought it and used it for Lugaru3 or whatever then maybe the WOULD make it so you can do flying kicks through walls and smash a wolf through and entire village. that would be actually awesome, i mean, imagine changing settings, and kicking a enemy, and they go flying through wall after wall after wall, making a long straight path of holes through an entire town.

liamrudel

Post by liamrudel » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I have to say, that would be awesome, but would take a beast of a machine!

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:22 pm

:| Is this DMM stuff good for anything other then making things break pretty?