[Character] Squirrel a207 (better model, textures WIP)

RagdollZombie

Re: [Character] Squirrel (WIP)

Post by RagdollZombie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Thank you for the tutorials. I'm not entirely happy with my previous fur attempt, so I will be trying to make better fur. Also, I've made some improvements on the mesh, he looks a lot smoother now. (the one on the left that's also brighter is the improved version) most of the changes were in the face, torso and legs.
improvements1.png
improvements2.png

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Very cool RagdollZombie! I think the latest fur texture looks really good too, can't wait to see the final/playable version!

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 pm

I've been extremely frustrated lately, just trying to get the stupid blender-gimp synching tool to work is a freaking pain in the ass...

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:41 pm

UPDATE: Finished the fur texture! I tried really hard on this to make it look as good as i can! When i release the character, I want to make some type of clothing for him to wear too, but I'll also release his base texture and UV layout for people who might want to re-texture him. When i finish him I hope you guys really like it!

you probably can't see that many changes from these angles... but I've removed most of the visible seams, colored his eyes, smoothed out his fur, colored the inside of his mouth and colored in ears and added in some more details.
squirrel done 2.png
squirrel done 1.png

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:00 am

squirrel armor color.png
An idea for armor... i know, it sucks xD he's wearing camouflage and wooden plates with carved wooden spikes

SacredSand

Post by SacredSand » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:24 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:
squirrel armor color.png
An idea for armor... i know, it sucks xD he's wearing camouflage and wooden plates with carved wooden spikes
I like this alot, Really cool armor. Really awesome. Really need to use this. Really need to let me play with that squirrel. Really, I need to stop saying really.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:29 pm

XD I'll be making different versions of the squirrel and the armor/clothing soon hopefully c: and most importantly I should make a white greyscale version for the palette. He's actually playable in the game so far, but i haven't made a detailed version of his normal map, and I want to release it when its fully done so that you guys won't have to wait for updates on it... XD

SacredSand

Post by SacredSand » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:03 pm

Awesome, I keep thinking of how cool it would be for a rat and a squirrel character to fight, I have made a rat but Macrauchenia is currently rigging it. :D Image
Last edited by SacredSand on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:40 pm

It looks great! :D

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:05 pm

SacredSand wrote:Awesome, I keep thinking of how cool it would be for a rat and a squirrel character to fight, I have made a rat but Macrauchenia is currently rigging it. :D http://makeagif.com/media/2-20-2013/rFlfho.gif
Interesting, but the feet and hands are way to big, but good start

SacredSand

Post by SacredSand » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:18 pm

akazi wrote:but the feet and hands are way to big, but good start
I scaled them down, thats a old pic and i was to lazy to take a new one and make a gif.
RagdollZombie wrote: It looks great! :D

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am

I made two videos on how he looks in-game. I'm still working on his rig. The first video shows him using the rabbit rig. I've been experimenting with the cat rig and seeing how I can make the squirrel's tail move around like the cat's tail but still have it more upwards like a squirrel tail. I haven't made all of his clothing yet either.

This is the version of the rig with the static tail:

And here is the version with the moving tail. This was a quick test rig so i didn't fix the ears, and the tail is a little glitchy...

Also i still need to make him a detailed normal map, which is why the lighting on him looks kind of wierd xD

Hibbe

Post by Hibbe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:27 am

After looking at the videos it feels like knocking around enemies with your tail would be a great and satisfying experience.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:48 am

that would be cool, but i don't think thats possible to implement yet... at least not for me XD

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Still having trouble fixing his tail. When moving fast or doing flips his tail starts rotating in a painful looking way... (i've checked the weights and saw no problem in blender...) this strange rotation seems to happen with my other characters but its less noticeable on them... Once I fix the tail then I'll fix his arms and the other errors in his rigging, but for now I want to get the tail working right first...
tail glitch.png
tail glitching 2.png
(you can also see how the tail messes up in the second youtube i posted on here.)
I moved the tail bones in blender to fit his tail (because i want it to still be upright like a squirrel's tail)
blender tail moved.png
Another wierd glitch i found is that his tail makes his ragdoll act really wierd. Like if he were to be turned into ragdoll mode he would spasm, sometimes being kicked will send him flying 50 feet away (and the rabbit kicking him has the normal knockback) and also ragdolled falling damage barley effects him... (but with the version i have with the static tail none of this happens, so its something to do with the tail xD)