[Character] Squirrel a207 (better model, textures WIP)

RagdollZombie

[Character] Squirrel a207 (better model, textures WIP)

Post by RagdollZombie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm

UPDATE a207

Once installed, the new version can be found in: data/objects/characters/squirrel2actor.xml

*remade the entire character again, with an improved model and textures

207 squirrel.png

It's been a long time since I've updated this (almost an entire year). I'm dealing with some severe depression right now. I took a long haitus because i didn't have the motivation to work on any of my mods. I'm still trying to recover but it's been really difficult. So I don't know when the next update will be.

The palette map is still really messy. I've been trying to fix it but I am still having trouble. Morph targets have to be re-added since this is a new model. Hopefully these will be in the next update.

Download (a207)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cpg4rfwixa9bl ... 7.zip?dl=0

Notes: "Spots" In the palette map doesn't work.
The palette is messy.

to load the squirrel, click the load item button in-game, then click the folder icon next to the heart
go to data/objects/characters/squirrel2actor.xml to load it.

To change color, select the squirrel and press ctrl + P

I'm not ready for this to be in the SUMLauncher yet. The character still needs quite a bit of work.
Last edited by RagdollZombie on Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:20 pm, edited 17 times in total.

akazi

Re: [Character] Squirrel (WIP)

Post by akazi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm

I believe you can do it! really I do, looks cool so far. I'm interested in see how you do with texturing, many of the custom character textures are kinda bad.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Yeah, I have a LOT of trouble with fur, especially realistic fur, but I'm going to try my best to make it as realistic as I can, and I'm not going to release it until I make this look REALLY good, where you can't even tell its custom :D

Bananapowersftw

Post by Bananapowersftw » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:56 pm

I think this will go well! Hopefully it does. It would be cool if there was an animation for climbing (if there was a mod for climbing up walls)

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:32 pm

I'm sure it can be done, theres already some animation mods out there, and I think i have seen a "climbing" animation section of the character.xmls. Though I still have yet to make my first OG animation work XD

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:52 pm

The Flying mod allows you to run up walls. So that might be a start.
Although I don't think that, just because he's a squirrel, he should be able to climb up walls. A squirrel is not a bug or a gecko.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Same, but it still would be nice to give him custom wall running animations. (like instead of running up the wall with two legs like the image below, he will use his arms too and maybe a little faster.) I don't think it would be fair to allow him to infinitely climb a wall, maybe a slightly better wall run but not climb. Or at least only on wood he can climb (since that's what squirrels do XD).
wall run.png

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:47 pm

squirrels around my house run up the sides of my house all the time, though the sides are very rough so it makes climbing easier, and it's not made of wood like a tree is. So making them able to climb up only wood would be disappointing I guess.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Or it doesn't have to be ONLY wood, but there should at least be a limitation on how high you can climb at one time(it wouldn't be very fun for parkour maps if you could climb on anything infinitely), like when in overgrowth (without mods) when you do the wall run you can only wall run up a few feet before you loose your footing. Maybe it should be like that but where the squirrel can run up a lot higher and maybe have a nice custom climbing animation XD

maybe for example instead of wall running like turner in the previous image, the squirrel could wall run like this: (sorry its just a crappy doodle XD)
squirrel climbing doodle.png
But because squirrels are better climbers, the squirrel could wall run a little higher than rabbits can.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:01 pm

I'm working on the texture right now. I have been for a few days, experimenting with gimp and finding some fur tutorials that have really helped me so far. It's FAAARRR from finished and I promise you, It will be much better than this. from what you could tell from my past characters, i was lazy on the fur or just really not trying hard enough. But this time I want to try as HARDD as i can to make this character look cool :D
paint test2.png
paint test3.png
paint test1.png
this is FARRR from done, and this is just a fur experiment for now...

SacredSand

Post by SacredSand » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Really cool so far, You should make it so he moves faster than any other character and i like the idea of the climbing it looks nice in the sketch.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:53 am

I've made an update on the fur (it has changed a lot since the last one. the last picture i showed was a test of how well gimp would be able to blend the fur together)

I am SOOOO HAPPY with how it looks so far!!! I've never tried to make this good of fur EVER! Aubrey's work has really inspired me. This is the texture update, I'm still making it and it hasn't been smoothed out but so far it looks really cool!
squirrel UV WIP.png
squirrel UV WIP2.png
squirrel UV WIP3.png
Also, when everything else is done, I will see if i can get morph targets to work on him (hopefully if it can work with custom character meshes)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:52 am

I think it needs more contrast. It looks good zoomed in, but if you zoom out and look at the whole thing at once, it becomes a gray-brown blur.

That said, it might just be the lack of lighting and ambient occlusion.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 am

I found a fur tutorial, you might find it useful.

http://coyotemange.deviantart.com/gallery/41042688

last

Post by last » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:36 am

I belive that this little alpha video may help you in some places with adding fur to your character.
All you have to do is rig the character and make a separate model with fur fins. Save this file as .obj and name it like there is a IGF_Turner_fur.obj in the Data\Characters\IGF_Turner
Here is the video http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/09/Overgro ... -changelog