Overgrowth should have a Powerup Item

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:54 am

Meh.

Ragdollmaster

Re: Overgrowth should have a Powerup Item

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:37 am

Maybe just special items you find every once in a while. Like, say, the poison darts people have suggested before (I remember talking about the disorientation effects and stuff) Perhaps getting a mount in one or two levels, or maybe something that enhances things you already do, like giving you a longer jump.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:41 pm

Yeah, I suppose that would be reasonable.

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Powerups like those described two posts up by ragdollmaster are reasonable. Maybe not the mount, but things like poison of extra jump. But they have to be explained if they're in campaign mode, or they should just go into challenges.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:48 am

Untadaike wrote:Yeah, I suppose that would be reasonable.
I'd like to hear why you can agree with the powerups Ragdollmaster suggested, but not with Rorsach's.
Rorsach wrote:Simply put the Powerup is one of the most important items in action games. It gives your character extra power and gives the player a new perspective and enjoyment from the game.
Untadaike wrote:No.
Untadaike wrote:
Glabbit wrote:At least read what it says, would you!
I did. No.

All three of Ragdollmaster's examples are powerups as Rorsach defined them. Why such a strong resentment for Rorsach's post? Was it about powerups in general, or his example of a powerup? I could understand not liking the examples, but I liked the explanation for why powerups should be in the game. It was like some of the blog posts that explain the reason behind a specific feature.

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:40 am

I agree with "powerups" that are a logical and down to earth part of the world. Like weapons and armour. Perhaps foot angles and other traps, special tools to do a certain task... In short: equipment. I think it should all be disposable and temporary. Nothing you carry through the game. I like the way it is in Lugaro pretty much. So same line of thinking, just more stuff.

A big NO to anything that don´t feel natural, like a pink crystal making you invulnurable for X seconds etc... But I have confidence we won´t see any of that kind.

I could imagine some drugs. Like toxic/psychedelic mushrooms making you crazy while giving some positive and some negative effect, perhaps allows you to talk to some ancestral spirit for advice or something... Alcohol that just gets you drunk, simply included for immersion and perhaps extra challenge. Poison from the rat weapons that partly disables you. etc etc...

Maybe some kind of KI power like thingy. Like you find yeh a place to meditate and then you can make one fight in slowmotion or run up a wall or something.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:54 am

Ylvali wrote:I could imagine some drugs. Like toxic/psychedelic mushrooms making you crazy while giving some positive and some negative effect,
Perhaps a green mushroom that makes you imagine yourself as a huge hulking monster? :lol:

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:59 pm

Bad idea, that one. I think hallucinogens should be left out of Overgrowth. At least for the combat.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:02 pm

the power up is not essential to action games, it is essential to ARCADE games.
big difference.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:21 pm

Hmm. Another good point.

Eagle0600

Post by Eagle0600 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 am

I was thinking the same thing. We don't want Overgrowth to be like an arcade game, so power-ups, in a traditional sense, make no sense whatsoever. But some power-up-like things could possibly be added if they're done well.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:32 pm

As was brought out, power-ups in an action game like Overgrowth shouldn't be out in the open, eg, PICK UP THE RED CRYSTAL AND GAIN FIRE BREATH FOR X TIME!!! Power-ups in games like OG should be subtle little things that make the game easier to play through, whether they be permanent (like say, getting armor) or temporary (poison etc) and acquiring them should feel natural and part of the game, not something outlandish that you can readily point your finger at and say "LOL POWERUP".

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:12 am

I think that that's exactly what we've been saying up to now, yeah xD
Yayconfirmation.