No
10%
I don't care
30%

Total votes: 10

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 am

multiplayer may not be that hard, just network it and make it so that everyone gets generated the same way Turner does, remove debug and add a character making screen...that would make Lugaru a giant battlefield, though, wouldn't it?

Anyways, kudos to Ryan for how he's doing on this

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:15 am

Multiplayer is the key to good games. look at halo/UT2k*, they wouldn't have been half as popular without multiplayer.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:32 pm

Blorx wrote:multiplayer may not be that hard, just network it and make it so that everyone gets generated the same way Turner does, remove debug and add a character making screen...that would make Lugaru a giant battlefield, though, wouldn't it?

Anyways, kudos to Ryan for how he's doing on this
No. Multiplayer would be very difficult. "Just network it" while maybe a good slogan for Nike's new IT branch, is utterly meaningless.

David and I have a bunch of ideas for how to implement a next generation Carmack-esque networking model and have a bunch of clever ideas to defeat the lag issues that caused Bungie to drop network support in Oni. Whether these will be seen in Lugaru 2 depends on many factors.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:41 pm

Nayr wrote:Multiplayer is the key to good games. look at halo/UT2k*, they wouldn't have been half as popular without multiplayer.
This is why you are not in charge of marketing.

No, there are a billion games that have been good without multiplayer. Look at virtually any RPG, which is what Lugaru 2 is.

jackinthebox155
Location: somware................out there........Over the rainbow.

Post by jackinthebox155 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:44 pm

tru dat jeff

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:43 pm

Blorx wrote:multiplayer may not be that hard, just network it and make it so that everyone gets generated the same way Turner does, remove debug and add a character making screen...that would make Lugaru a giant battlefield, though, wouldn't it?
Beautiful, It's a wonder you aren't writing network code for Blizzard.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:23 am

zip wrote:
Beautiful, It's a wonder you aren't writing network code for Blizzard.
Sarcasm, eh? :P

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:28 pm

Wonderfully supportive...

Anyway, there are also many examples (not quite billions, but that was certainly an exaggeration) of successful MMORPGs out there.

I suppose the benefit of the hard work they put into good multiplayer code is the monthly subscription revenue. :wink:

Anyway, it's David's game, so we of course have no say... And it'll be good no matter what... But it's fun to give input and even better when that input is at least taken seriously and debated on its merit, rather than the submitter being lambasted. :roll:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:54 pm

First of all, back to the original topic, if you want to beta test the Lugaru on Linux, check this out: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finge ... er=icculus

Secondly, Blorx has been around for a while, so it is ok to lambast him.

Finally, the suggestion "make Lugaru 2 into an MMORG" is unreasonable, because that is changing genre's entirely. That is like telling Valve to make Half Life 3 into an MMORPG and then wondering why they aren't very receptive.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:12 pm

*debates merit*
*lambasts*

Is there any chance of a PPC linux build?

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:24 am

Jeff wrote:First of all, back to the original topic, if you want to beta test the Lugaru on Linux, check this out: http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/finge ... er=icculus

Secondly, Blorx has been around for a while, so it is ok to lambast him.

Finally, the suggestion "make Lugaru 2 into an MMORPG" is unreasonable, because that is changing genre's entirely. That is like telling Valve to make Half Life 3 into an MMORPG and then wondering why they aren't very receptive.
Jeff, thanks for the heads-up. I've emailed Ryan.

Also, I don't recall saying "make Lugaru 2 into an MMORPG"... In fact I don't like that idea at all because I don't really care for most MMORPGs I've played (Vendetta is kind of cool though)... I much prefer action and simulations. Pretty much the only other games I play are Battlefield 2 & Battlefield 1942: Desert Combat, and they are both virtually the same.

I was merely throwing out that genre as a possible spark to ignite a better idea for multi-player Lugaru game-play. The meat of it is that I'd love to play the Lugaru story with my friends in more of a team-based approach... And even some team death-match or whatever. The point is that multi-player Lugaru would be great.

Thanks for debating the merit, if only a little bit.
Last edited by Chameleon on Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:26 am

Ok, I originally didn't think that anyone mentioned an MMORPG, but I got confused by your reference to it.

Start a new thread about possible multiplayer game types, and it will be seriously considered. :) There is a good chance that multiplayer will be in Lugaru 2.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:09 am

Ok, sounds interesting...anyways, just because I've been here for...*counts*...a year including my banned account doesn't mean that you have to lambast me...

dolson

Post by dolson » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:20 am

Jeff wrote:(In response to the previous post)

Ryan Gordon is going to be porting Lugaru! Lugaru is coming to Linux, and you know it will be top quality.

Lugaru 2 is being written from the ground up with compatibility in mind, so you can count on it to run on everything from the start.
Very cool. I am gonna email him about beta testing, and I'll register as soon as the port is finished and complete.

As far as Lugaru 2... I've heard that *exact* same story from BioWare regarding Neverwinter Nights.... ;)

dolson

Post by dolson » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:41 pm

Ryan let me into the beta.

And I've changed my mind. I won't wait for the official port, this is well enough with me, and worthy of my money. I registered.

Just awaiting the key. And please, whoever handles it, remember that it's a Linux sale. ;)

And after playing through to the part where I need the key to continue, I realize that those who want multiplayer Lugaru are right - this would be very fun. It seems it'd be more fair than Quake 3 and games like that too.

Anyhow, thanks for a cool, unique game [series], and thanks for getting the port done.