10%
I don't care
30%

Total votes: 10

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Linux Beta going good here.

Post by Jeff » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:28 pm

GrueMaster wrote:Both my son and I have been actively testing this on our machines (demo version due to temporary budget issues), and we're happy to report that it works great on his PIII 700 GeForce2MX system, and my P4 3.06 EE GeForce 5600XT systems without any problems (except for that pesky registration limitation). I did notice some ghosting of objects (in the first scene of the campaign, standing on the hill looking at the tower, the tower tends to fade in and out depending on distance). I didn't file any bugs, though as I need to update my nvidia driver (6629). Looks great otherwise.

I'll buy my son a license as soon as I can (I don't play games very often, but I do like to beta test).

He's 14, and starting to learn how to develop programs on his own. He's learned how to download and compile multiple different games and libraries on his own, and he's been developing a simple game in Blender. Maybe he can work for you guys in about 6 years (let him finish school and get into college first).

Tobin
I recently "hired" two 15 year olds to help program some Wolfire projects that I am working on. If you have the skills, Wolfire certainly doesn't discriminate on age.

GrueMaster

Re: Linux Beta going good here.

Post by GrueMaster » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:06 pm

I recently "hired" two 15 year olds to help program some Wolfire projects that I am working on. If you have the skills, Wolfire certainly doesn't discriminate on age.
I'll let him know. He's currently going to school out of town (our school sucks). He might have to wait until he's 16, though. Child labor laws and all (until then, he's my little slave).
All objects fade out at a certain distance, this is to keep FPS high.
I discovered that after posting when I ran the Windows demo under Cedega (see, there are some uses for wine).

Tobin

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:48 pm

IO think it's cool that a parent is actively involved in his son's comuter skills. my dad just stole photoshop CS and told me to have fun

adcprod

Thanks! (and BeOS?)

Post by adcprod » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:32 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for doing this! As I said earlier, I will buy as soon as my summer semester for MBA work is complete. I'll need to blow off some steam. Good work. See if you can get this slashdotted again now that the port is complete. ;)

Oh and when are the ports for Zeta/Be, Amiga, Atari 2600, Collecovision, Ti99-4A and Intellivision coming out? Oh let's not forget the GNU hurd, Open BSD, FreeDOS, PPC Linux, Timex Sinclair, TI scientific calculators, Sega Genesis, SNK Pocket, Neo Geo, Multics, Apple Lisa, Openstep, Solaris, Xenix, Emacs, Windows 3.1, and Irix ports. Imagine the marketshare you stand to gain!

In all seriousness, I'm glad you guys took the Linux port seriously. Hopefully, it will start to make more $ense to do this in the future. If nothing else, it means a lot to me and (I'm sure) many others.

Best of luck,

-Dave

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Re: Thanks! (and BeOS?)

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:55 pm

adcprod wrote: In all seriousness, I'm glad you guys took the Linux port seriously. Hopefully, it will start to make more $ense to do this in the future. If nothing else, it means a lot to me and (I'm sure) many others.
Sorry for posting no big statement except my words exactly! I'm one of those he meant, I guess.

Chameleon

Re: Thanks! (and BeOS?)

Post by Chameleon » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:53 am

adcprod wrote:Oh and when are the ports for Zeta/Be, Amiga, Atari 2600, Collecovision, Ti99-4A and Intellivision coming out? Oh let's not forget the GNU hurd, Open BSD, FreeDOS, PPC Linux, Timex Sinclair, TI scientific calculators, Sega Genesis, SNK Pocket, Neo Geo, Multics, Apple Lisa, Openstep, Solaris, Xenix, Emacs, Windows 3.1, and Irix ports. Imagine the marketshare you stand to gain!
You forgot PalmOS and WinCE (I wince every time I write that).
Actually, it'd be sweet on a PDA, but very difficult, except maybe on the Zodiac or one of the newest PocketPCs with 3D chips.
adcprod wrote:In all seriousness, I'm glad you guys took the Linux port seriously. Hopefully, it will start to make more $ense to do this in the future. If nothing else, it means a lot to me and (I'm sure) many others.
Me too. I've already forked over my dough and I'm really glad I did.
I'm telling anybody who will listen that they need to check out this game.
Of course, I have to tell them that it's not multiplayer, but that Lugaru2 is coming and it should have multiplayer.

A couple of the interns @ work tried the demo and they like it a lot. One said he will definitely get it when his new PC arrives and he's off to the dorm where he can escape his father's control (dad doesn't like "violent" games).

adcprod

Multiplayer

Post by adcprod » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:23 pm

Of course, I have to tell them that it's not multiplayer, but that Lugaru2 is coming and it should have multiplayer.
Yes, that would make the game extremely addicting. Not sure if that's good or bad. Yes, I'd love it, but my wife would certainly hate it. ;)

Nazgul11
LoTR@localhost

Post by Nazgul11 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:25 pm

I just noticed the new Lugaru version for Linux, (haven't gone to the main Lugaru site in a while) congratulations! Btw, on what day was it officially released? And who ported it? (thats probably a dumb question but I don't look at this thread much)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:07 pm

Any chance of a linux build for PPC?

zborgerd

Post by zborgerd » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:45 pm

Nazgul11 wrote:I just noticed the new Lugaru version for Linux, (haven't gone to the main Lugaru site in a while) congratulations! Btw, on what day was it officially released? And who ported it? (thats probably a dumb question but I don't look at this thread much)
I think it was official on Thursday or Friday. I ordered the game right after playing the demo, and really enjoyed it. Just finished it last night. Now I'm trying to ace the challenge mode.

I'm glad to see these sorts of games on Linux. Small/Indy games are what Linux really needs to build it as a gaming platform, since most of the big-name games don't stand a chance of getting ported.

I hope that everyone else shows their support to Wolfire by spending the $20 for the Linux version. I'd love to see the sequel on Linux. :)

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:05 am

Nazgul11 wrote:[W]ho ported [Lugaru to Linux]? (thats probably a dumb question but I don't look at this thread much)
Ryan C Gordon @ icculus.org

That dude is a wizard. He had it running in a couple days, but the beta test went on for a couple/few weeks because there were a few minor bugs.

One bug that I reported did not get fixed. It is detailed here:
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2338

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:03 pm

If you guys know of any Linux game sites/magazines, letting them know that Lugaru was released for Linux would be really helpful.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:35 pm

Jeff wrote:If you guys know of any Linux game sites/magazines, letting them know that Lugaru was released for Linux would be really helpful.
Done. I wrote to one of my local magazines and with a bit of luck, they'll contact you guys soon :)

Besides, I posted links to your demo download website on various forums.

I hope you guys will be as successful in the future as you deserve it!

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:05 pm

Awesome. :) All future Wolfire games will be Linux for sure. There's really no excuse not to support it.

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:53 am

Jeff wrote:Awesome. :) All future Wolfire games will be Linux for sure. There's really no excuse not to support it.
Totally sweet!

That right there will score you many customers.