60%
No
10%
I don't care
30%

Total votes: 10

Tenche

Post by Tenche » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:41 am

No Linux doesent need anything that god forsaken system also Windows didint really need it ether but hey its money comeing in

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:12 pm

I agree that Windows is god forsaken but please, please don't insult Linux. All the fun Mac games have come from Linux. (not including boxed games)

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:18 am

Looks like the engine uses cross-platform compatible stuff. It shouldn't be hard to port it over to linux, or even (heaven forfend) Windows.

To bad I don't have surround speakers on my 333 MHz G3 Beige running 10.2.8 using an ATI Radeon 7000 that runs Lugaro OK, except for load scenes which take a looong time before they're done. Good game. I'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:45 pm

Nayr wrote:
David wrote:My new engine uses OpenGL, SDL, and OpenAL
Why don't you use SDL_mixer?
Maybe because OpenAL is more powerful than SDL_Mixer?

I also think that OpenAL allows surround sound to be exported from the Mac. I could be wrong, but I do know that 10.4 has OpenAL built-in. Other versions of Mac OS X can get it manually installed.

KCat

Post by KCat » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:18 pm

Any word on this? I just found a video of the game in someone's sig, which led me here. It looks good, and've heard good things about it from other people. Unfortauntely I can't get it to run on Linux, and don't have access to a capable Windows machine.

It starts up good under Wine, at least until I get into the tutorial where all I see is a field and the sky (just the skybox?), and some text. No level, no models, or anything. I can move around, though, and hear myself doing things when I press keys.. I just don't see anything.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:36 pm

If someone would be willing to port it for free, then sure. I don't think the Linux market is large enough to warrant hiring someone.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Well, the linux market might be smaller, but since there are far fewer games then you have much less competition.

defiance

Post by defiance » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:29 pm

I'll look into and see if it will be any trouble.

senectus

Post by senectus » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:35 pm

Just send David an e-mail suggesting he chat with www.transgaming.com Those guys are perfect for this project, plus can sell it in their shop as well.

or there is always www.icculus.org Ryan does linux porting and mac porting for a living :-)
Last edited by senectus on Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Svartalf

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:36 pm

zip wrote:Well, the linux market might be smaller, but since there are far fewer games then you have much less competition.
Smaller is a relative concept. Considering that it's one of the top OS choices for desktop use in Europe and Asia, it's not that the market is "smaller" it's more of that it's far less known and since most of the people in the Game industry and elsewhere only believe sales figures and then we had the Quake 3:Arena debacle (where Scott over at Loki Games held the damn game up for stupid TINS that got held up in customs- what the heck was he thinking there, eh?)- it's been a hard sell for Linux games, or, for that matter, most applications.

Having said this, there's a market for things out there if you price it right and have something worth playing.

Lugaru's interesting looking. I'm tempted to download the Windows version (Ugh...) and try it out either in WINE or XP (Yes, I have it solely for testing the porting work I'm doing- reference purposes; I have to determine if I'm chasing my own bugs or original ones when I find a problem in a game...). If it weren't for the fact that I owe Michael Sims the fixes for an 11th hour bug in the rendering code for Ballistics (We were going to ship and then something broke us with NVidia's new driver... Never fails, doesn't it? :D ) and trying to lever up the remaining catalog to beta status, I'd be stepping right up to help out. I may still do it; depends on what my schedule ends up looking like (I've got 3 games to work on and a device driver for a check scanner for the first Linux based ATM/Check-Cashing system out to market that I know of- in addition to my Day Job work... What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment... :twisted: ).

Svartalf

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:39 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:
Blorx wrote:It is, simply because Mac OSX is Unix and Unix came from Linux
Unix came from linux?? Is this some kind of joke that I don't understand?
He's just confused...

MacOS X == Mach w/BSD personality layer
Linux == Linux
Unix == Unix (i.e. FreeBSD, Solaris, Irix, AIX, etc...)

It's easy to get them all muddled up in your head. Linux is Unix-like, conforms to the POSIX spec where possible and does it differently only when something else is superior. It's the Unix-like part that gets people.

Svartalf

Post by Svartalf » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:42 pm

Blorx wrote:I may be wrong...more like it's a variation of Linux or something...I don't have a Linux...
That can EASILY be fixed- on Mac and PC machines. :twisted:

Even better yet, you don't even NEED to install it on the machine, it's capable enough to run from off a CD, DVD, or USB Thumb drive.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:57 pm

Blorx wrote:I agree that Windows is god forsaken but please, please don't insult Linux. All the fun Mac games have come from Linux.
what about lugaru?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:57 pm

Ryan ported Black Shades to linux I believe, at least the source code is hosted there.

When I said a smaller market what I meant was fewer games, it is much easier for Lugaru to get recognized in the Linux community than in the Windows community. And since there aer no games like Lugaru for Linux(as far as I know) it has no direct competition.
And++ since there are fewer linux games, it has less indirect competition for a linux gamer's time and money as well.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:02 pm

translation= lugaru's cool, not on linux.