Trouble playing on linux

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
jhardtone

Trouble playing on linux

Post by jhardtone » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:21 am

Well, just downloaded the demo. When I try to run the game, it starts up ok, but everything is slow in the menus and when try to enter a level it just crashes. Seems like it's on software rendering or something.

I get this message at startup:

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
Windows version works ok in wine, but sound is dodgy there.

Any suggestions?

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:33 am

buy a mac.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 am

Waaay helpful levbot, though "install windows" would have worked just as well.

A quick google search reports that Ut2k3 and 2k4 also have this problem, they were both ported by Icculus(and so was Lugaru I believe).
The "error" about 'XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD' isn't actually an error. It is just a piece of info saying that ut2004 can't find that extension for X. Only a very small group of graphics cards support it (I can't remember exactly what they are), and it doesn't apply to most cards; so don't worry about it. I think that Inculus' site about the linux version of UT has this as a FAQ, because everyone always seems to get confused.
So the message you are getting may not be the problem, what are your computer specs?

kgroombr

Post by kgroombr » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:04 pm

levbot wrote:buy a mac.
Yeah right, and have an obsolete system every few years because Apple can't make up its mind on what architecture it wants to use.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:12 pm

kgroombr wrote: Yeah right, and have an obsolete system every few years because Apple can't make up its mind on what architecture it wants to use.
???
They have been using IBM PPC for many years, and are now switching to Intel... where is the indecision?

kgroombr

Re: Trouble playing on linux

Post by kgroombr » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:12 pm

jhardtone wrote:Well, just downloaded the demo. When I try to run the game, it starts up ok, but everything is slow in the menus and when try to enter a level it just crashes. Seems like it's on software rendering or something.

I get this message at startup:

Code: Select all

Xlib:  extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0".
Windows version works ok in wine, but sound is dodgy there.

Any suggestions?
I had this problem and fixed it by linking the libs in the lugaru to the ones in the lib directory. Here are the commands that worked on my system:

cd /usr/local/games/lugaru
mv libSDL-1.2.so.0 libSDL-1.2.so.0.orig
ln -s /usr/lib/libSDL-1.2.so.0
mv openal.so openal.so.orig
ln -s /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0 openal.so

Good luck,
Ken

kgroombr

Post by kgroombr » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:18 pm

zip wrote:???
They have been using IBM PPC for many years, and are now switching to Intel... where is the indecision?
How long have you been using a Mac? It wasn't too long ago they switched from the Motorola 680X0 series to the PPC totally abandoning the users of those systems. In a year or so when Apple switches to Intel, all the software (and more or less your hardware) will be useless as well.

The hardware will still be good for running Linux since Apple won't support it anymore. :)

Ken

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:24 pm

kgroombr wrote:
How long have you been using a Mac? It wasn't too long ago they switched from the Motorola 680X0 series to the PPC totally abandoning the users of those systems. In a year or so when Apple switches to Intel, all the software (and more or less your hardware) will be useless as well.

The hardware will still be good for running Linux since Apple won't support it anymore. :)

Ken
I've been using macs since I was 4(which makes 10 or 11 years), and that computer was a 68k.
And it was not that recent that the switched from 68k to PPC, especially in computer years ;P
As for the software being useless when they switch.. compatability is a quick compile away, unless your program cannot make the endian switch.
[edit] And they did not abandon the 68k users, the PPC macs could run 68k compiled applications. [/edit]

jhardtone

Post by jhardtone » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:20 pm

Thanks kgroombr, that's what i did, figured it out right after posting here, typical of me. Now if I only could buy this somehow...

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:56 pm

zip wrote:
kgroombr wrote:

Ken
I've been using macs since I was 4(which makes 10 or 11 years), and that computer was a 68k.
And it was not that recent that the switched from 68k to PPC, especially in computer years ;P
As for the software being useless when they switch.. compatability is a quick compile away, unless your program cannot make the endian switch.
[edit] And they did not abandon the 68k users, the PPC macs could run 68k compiled applications. [/edit]
Unfortunately, Intel programs will not run on PPC, so unless every single program in the future is FAT then current mac users are going to get the shaft.

levbot
mad tweaker

Post by levbot » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:18 pm

all this tech jargon.. just get a job and buy a flippin' mac

dolson

Post by dolson » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:36 pm

levbot wrote:all this tech jargon.. just get a job and buy a flippin' mac
What a good solution! Run into a problem? Don't ask for help, just spend a couple grand on a new computer!

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:44 am

XD Unbelievable :lol:

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:01 am

Jeff wrote:
zip wrote:
kgroombr wrote: How long have you been using a Mac? It wasn't too long ago they switched from the Motorola 680X0 series to the PPC totally abandoning the users of those systems. In a year or so when Apple switches to Intel, all the software (and more or less your hardware) will be useless as well.

Ken
Unfortunately, Intel programs will not run on PPC, so unless every single program in the future is FAT then current mac users are going to get the shaft.
New software will probably be distributed with a PPC and Intel build for some time. We survived the 68k->PPC switch without any angry mobs running through silicon valley, hopefully this will go as smoothly.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:04 am

Jeff wrote:
zip wrote:
kgroombr wrote: How long have you been using a Mac? It wasn't too long ago they switched from the Motorola 680X0 series to the PPC totally abandoning the users of those systems. In a year or so when Apple switches to Intel, all the software (and more or less your hardware) will be useless as well.

Ken
New software will probably be distributed with a PPC and Intel build for some time. We survived the 68k->PPC switch without any angry mobs running through silicon valley, hopefully this will go as smoothly.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but the switch doesn't particuarly bother me, except that of course intel is t3h sux0r3z.