Picture/Video recorder

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:49 pm

The idea is so that people can share their videos on the forum easily. I think that YouTube is the quickest and easiest way. It's much easier to check a "Put this file on YouTube" checkbox then do it manually.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:00 pm

I'd have to see it to believe it's worth the effort. But I'm sure you know what you're doing.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Wuh? What's so bad about the Youtube integration? It's way better than just downloading a 20 second zipped, quicktime file off of rapidshare everytime.
That stuff is annoying.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:51 pm

I didn't say publishing your videos via YouTube is bad. I said integrating the upload process into Lugaru 2 is a weird idea for me.

What you say is of course right, the times of 20 sec zipped qt files should be over, and we're all glad they are.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:39 pm

It should upload to google video as well so we can download it.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:11 pm

One URL for you: http://keepvid.com <- Makes it possible for you to download flv vids from YouTube, Google Video, Dailymotion and tons of other sites if you so wish.

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:44 pm

I've knowb that forever, and also http://javimoya.com can get flv files from more sites. I meant downloading for ipod/psp.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:14 pm

Programming riddle:

No matter how crappy your internet connection or how slow your computer is, you are going to be able to get your recording on Revver with the highest quality graphics settings nearly instantaneously, just by clicking "Upload to Revver". See if you can figure out how we are planning to implement this.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:06 pm

You send the replay file to wolfire.net (small), which then does the "rendering" computation using its own processing power, and uploads the result to Revver? Maybe you send the replay file "continuously" as you play and wolfire.net does the rendering in quasi-real-time (ie process continuously with any available cpu power)? Obviously that last part would assume players only occasionaly use the feature (not something on by default).

EDIT: sending the replay file "continuously" amounts to the same information you would send for multiplayer, so it would technically be as if Wolfire.net is playing multiplayer with you, only it has not character and does nothing.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:16 pm

The username is 'Wolfire Software', so you don't need to register at Revver? The comment has the player's name in it? If a timeout comes by, the file is queued? You've got enormous disk space and an insane upload speed, just in case a lot of people are uploading at the same time and revver.com is down? The copyright holder for the video is Wolfire Software, regardless of the music that plays in the background? The music is ingame music anyway because user tracks would have to be uploaded and resynched to the replay?

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:05 am

You use a protocol to split common parts of replay files through torrent, taking advantage of unused cycles of all Lugaru players worldwide to send the file through a portal into space, then back through time via an ingenious use of a collapse in the spacetime continuum and synchronized quantum states?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:37 am

rudel_ic wrote:The username is 'Wolfire Software', so you don't need to register at Revver?
Right.
The comment has the player's name in it?
It has whatever you want, specified in PhoenixUI.
If a timeout comes by, the file is queued?
Every time you save a video the native replay file is saved to your local library in PhoenixUI. If the upload to wolfire.net fails for whatever reason, you can simply click the "Upload to Revver" button again later.
You've got enormous disk space and an insane upload speed, just in case a lot of people are uploading at the same time and revver.com is down?
We have several hundred gigabytes of disk space which is enough for thousands of encoded replays. As for an "insane upload speed", is 100 megabits fast enough?
The copyright holder for the video is Wolfire Software, regardless of the music that plays in the background? The music is ingame music anyway because user tracks would have to be uploaded and resynched to the replay?
The music and sound in the background is always Wolfire music and sound... We are talking about replays, not custom videos.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:44 am

Silb wrote:You send the replay file to wolfire.net (small), which then does the "rendering" computation using its own processing power, and uploads the result to Revver? Maybe you send the replay file "continuously" as you play and wolfire.net does the rendering in quasi-real-time (ie process continuously with any available cpu power)? Obviously that last part would assume players only occasionaly use the feature (not something on by default).

EDIT: sending the replay file "continuously" amounts to the same information you would send for multiplayer, so it would technically be as if Wolfire.net is playing multiplayer with you, only it has not character and does nothing.
Right (mostly). :) The multiplayer idea is interesting, but not necessary. The client just records the video to the native format, which should be no more than say 30k, then uploads that to wolfire.net. Wolfire.net then starts a virtual instance of Lugaru and runs your replay file at mega speed, creating a real video. It then uploads it to Revver at LAN speeds and creates the video.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:45 am

Dude, how fast is 100 megabits?

Faster than 100 megabytes right? I mean, this is a really dumb question but, don't most people download at 150 megabytes per second.... No wait, yeah that's 150 kilobytes, not megabytes.

Well, that's pretty fast then
for some 30k files. :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 am

100 Mbit/s is the standard speed in local area networks. It means you upload 12,5 Megabytes in a second. If you can upload that fast to internet servers, it's pretty decent. About 50x faster than my ADSL download speed.