Additions to Lugaru 2: Training (and weapon aiming)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
lpod100

Post by lpod100 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:27 pm

I think first person aiming would be cool too, but I think there should be at least some help from the game. for example auto range for bows, where a button measures the distance to the object you are aiming at, after which turner automatically adjusts how high to shoot (i got that from the beta version of DropTeam :)).

but yeah, david would have to totally change the style of combat to allow for first person aiming. maybe there could be levels specifically designed for ranged weapons, like a siege level, where you are one top of a wall and have to repel the hordes of enemies charging your fort. that would give you the best of both worlds, though it would probably require some extra programming and wouldn't be very consistent with the rest of the game.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:47 pm

lpod100 wrote: wouldn't be very consistent with the rest of the game.
I don't think we should have things like first person aiming or red lines for aiming, since that would kind of take away from the HUD lacking idea of the rest of the game.(Which I love)

However, a spear with two attacks would be pretty cool. The running attack could be a kinda lunge-stab attack, and if you were in front of a a guy, a click would make you knock the guy down with the butt of the spear so you could stab him on the ground.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:29 pm

»StaffShock« wrote:I don't think we should have things like first person aiming or red lines for aiming, since that would kind of take away from the HUD lacking idea of the rest of the game.(Which I love)
Normally you do aim with your own eyes, you know...

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:00 pm

Ha ha ha! Nice one Nuky! What are you trying to say Staffshock? :P Seeing through you're eyes is no longer considered natural? But I guess that could be more dissorienting than it should be, and the fact that it's going to be really hard to move aroung while you're shooting might take a hit on gameplay a little. If bows are put into the game, it should be kept in third person, seeing arrows on Turner would be really cool (in the quiver), having it in FPS might require more work to make up for the HUD. How else are you going to know how much ammo you have? I can't think of any other way.

I don't know why games don't have this effect when throwing things like grenades, some games have such an awkward throwing system, I can never hit targets that I could easily hit in real life. But bows should be a bit easier, I don't think you would need this kind of feature. That kind of aiming is great for things needing lob shots with area damage, like trying to shoot a M203 or mortar round, it's impossible to hit anything accuratly without it (of course you can hit anything up close with the M203, I'm talking drop shots). Bows are very easy to use, unless you're trying to go 'middle ages' and shoot armies by aiming right for the sky, you probably won't have a problem shooting someone(It's really easy to hit targets in Oblivion, maybe too easy?).

I think the bow would just be for stealthy situations, you could take just one shot before the enemies notice you, and once you're spotted it should be fairly easy to avoid the arrows (at least close the distance really fast). Combat is going to be focused on close range fighting I think, castle sieges would be fun though.

»StaffShock«

Post by »StaffShock« » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Nuky wrote:
»StaffShock« wrote:I don't think we should have things like first person aiming or red lines for aiming, since that would kind of take away from the HUD lacking idea of the rest of the game.(Which I love)
Normally you do aim with your own eyes, you know...
O RLY?

I like the idea of third person aiming and being able to see the quiver of arrows if there are arrows.

I'm also working on a mod that replaces the knife with the sword, and the sword slice with the throw animation. Kinda cool, as I'm planning to sking the knife-sword to look like an arrow.

EDIT: With all respect to Nuky, I see what he meant. He's saying since you see through your eyes,:roll:, aiming would make more sense in first person. I see what he means, I'm just saying that might get a little confusing, switching between third and first person whenever you want to shoot an arrow, or throw a spear, etc.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Zantalos wrote:seeing arrows on Turner would be really cool (in the quiver)
No, in the leg! *Limps around with an arrow stuck in the leg*

I can imagine aiming in 3rd person would be cool:
aim -> click&hold tighten the bow(?) -> release burron to release arrow...
And if an enemy comes too close: shift+click=take arrow off bow and stab them in the eye! (or throat)

Also, regarding physics and so... if you got a somewhat loose quiver, and you fall, or roll around too much, would the arrows fall out? Just a litle idea to make the game harder and more annoying when fighting wolves >:}

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:25 pm

Oh man that would hella rule. Have specific points on the body that paralysis the whole limb if you shoot it. I've never played SOS before, but it seems very clear that David knows how to do this already. :)

Ya, I agree though, the bow should have some kind of close range attack. That stab thing sounds pretty fun though. "watch out Legolas! We got a new archer in town!" I dunno, sounds pretty awesome to me though.
that'd be: aim :arrow: draw arrow :arrow: release, I think

That'd be cool if arrows could be taken from quivers. Arrows should be hard to get, and should be taken off of bodies and out of trees whenever. You should be able to steal arrows right from their quiver, maybe even turn the spinecrusher to a arrow steal and stab combo. Roll over a down archer and steal his arrows, kinda like disarming their weapon.

And since you could interact with your weapons this way, it would be neat if your clothing would do this too. Like if a rabbit swung his knife at you and you dodge it, your clothing should get ripped in the proccess, you'd be fine though. Same with falling over with a quiver of arrows, they should get like dumped out. And when you do have arrows equiped, your tackles should turn into to slide kicks and rolls should be skidding on your knees. Oh, how about flip jumps should be like mid-air twists.

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:57 pm

If there is not going to be a hud in L2, it would be cool if there was like an over-the-shoulder style of shooting, like in Resident Evil. That way, you could get a good view of the quiver, which you could look at to tell how many arrows you had left.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:00 am

hdlsa wrote:If there is not going to be a hud in L2, it would be cool if there was like an over-the-shoulder style of shooting, like in Resident Evil. That way, you could get a good view of the quiver, which you could look at to tell how many arrows you had left.
I think that method was also present in Drakkan, for bows.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:06 am

hmm, what is drakkan? I even googled it along with a search on gamespot (the google search was done really quick).
Resident Evil 3 had a much better aiming system than most other games, the fact that it used laser sights instead of the usual crosshair makes it really cool. But now that I've played blackshades, I fear going back to a crosshair. David had created such a perfect aiming system, I mean it was so realistic and fluid, I want to see even more of that now.

So while 3rd person would surely be a little less disorienting than switching back and forth from 1st person views, I think that kind of aiming beats anything we've been used to (talking about 1st person). Zelda (N64) had used Bows in first person (and in lock on, 3rd person), and it worked pretty well. Despite the fact that range would certainly overpower melee, hand-to-hand still remaned the main focus for gameplay. So I think this could also be used for Lugaru 2 aswell, except Zelda's aiming system really wasn't that great, not as great as David's.So, I think the main concern is that 3rd person can only be used with a crosshair (laser sight too), I think that that would definately add to the unrealistics and bad artistics of a HUD. And 1st person has the obviouse effect of letting every one know all the minor flaws of range attacks (Lots of decal problems, collision detections, trying to shoot certain body parts like the eyes/groin/fingers, they all become very apparent when in 1st person, also there could be no quick melee attacks).

Bows would have to be aimed like a knife or something for 3rd person. You pull back your bow and precisely aim at the direction of an enemy, letting go would make Turner automatically fix aim for targets, before he shoots. I think this would clear up most problems like limiting the chance for players to create situations of error in the game, by letting only real shots to be taken (might detract from the openess of Lugaru). This would also balance the game more for online play, all range units would have pretty much the same chance for killing each other, there would be no fpsDoug to ruin the game by owning everyone with crazy amounts of headshots, hand-to-hand is a different story, it doesn't matter if you get owned there. :P

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:33 am

I guess zip meant "Drakan".
...right?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:48 am

Er, yeah. My bad :P

Ninja_Azzazzin

Re: Additions to Lugaru 2: Training (and weapon aiming)

Post by Ninja_Azzazzin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:43 pm

I just want to know if you guys are continuing L2 Because it looks FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Please finish this game omfg it would be so fun to play online with this style of fighting and the bows of you made them like knives you could also add arrows as melee weapons and maybe like being able to do a flip while shooting as a stealth method like when you flip and throw a knife I also think that there should be a way for the parkour to be kinda of like overgrowths parkour. Not everything about it though i would just love to be able to flip in mid air like they created in Og and having wall-running and then having wall jumping remade. You could also add more melee moves like When you sneak behind someone instead of having to stand to do that stealth attack you and do a sweet trip move that knocks em over and then stabs them on the ground!

Macrauchenia

Post by Macrauchenia » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Lugaru 2 = Overgrowth.

They decided to rename the project.

Retarded Username

Post by Retarded Username » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:07 am

Ninja_Azzazzin wrote:I just want to know if you guys are continuing L2 Because it looks FREAKING AMAZING!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Please finish this game omfg it would be so fun to play online with this style of fighting and the bows of you made them like knives you could also add arrows as melee weapons and maybe like being able to do a flip while shooting as a stealth method like when you flip and throw a knife I also think that there should be a way for the parkour to be kinda of like overgrowths parkour. Not everything about it though i would just love to be able to flip in mid air like they created in Og and having wall-running and then having wall jumping remade. You could also add more melee moves like When you sneak behind someone instead of having to stand to do that stealth attack you and do a sweet trip move that knocks em over and then stabs them on the ground!
For some reason he treats Overgrowth and Lugaru 2 as totally different games (what).