Email Updates

Introducing Overgrowth!
Coming soon... Overgrowth Now available for preorder!

Wolfire Games develops innovative, independent games for Mac OS, Windows, and Linux. It was started by David Rosen in 2003 to organize his open source video game contest entries. After graduating college in 2008, he was joined by his twin brother and three friends and Wolfire Games officially dove into the independent game industry!

We have finished our first shareware game, Lugaru. Please check it out here! We are currently hard at work on the sequel, Overgrowth, and you can follow our progress on the Wolfire Blog.

Factbook: Weapon Production

27 comments April 10th, 2014 by Aubrey Serr

Here is a new Factbook video on how most of the weapons in the world of Overgrowth are made:

There are rare cases where other races make weapons, like how the swords in Lugaru were made by a rabbit! Because the steel is harvested from the crete, there is no need to melt iron ore in a blast furnace and mix it with carbon. This means that the technology and expertise needed to make the weapons is a lot lower. Many groups in Overgrowth are still figuring out how to design effective weapons and armor, and so sometimes their gear is pretty primitive or unusual!

Wolfire Merchandise Store

33 comments April 1st, 2014 by David Rosen

At GDC, everyone wanted to know where they could purchase Wolfire merchandise. We didn't know what to tell them -- we order small batches of shirts sometimes, but had no infrastructure for manufacturing and fulfillment. This was clearly an urgent problem to solve! We consulted with developers who had more experience in physical merchandise, gathering data about what players really want, and how to best deliver it.

We are proud to announce our new web store for online merchandise! Click the image below to check it out:

Reddit AMA

38 comments February 1st, 2014 by David Rosen

We are answering questions from the Reddit community today on r/games, so if you have any unanswered questions please ask us there!

Overgrowth a205 video changelog

40 comments January 23rd, 2014 by David Rosen

Here is the new Overgrowth alpha video!

Don't forget that you can help support us, try out our alphas (such as the one in the video), and chat with other preorderers in the Secret Preorder Forum by preordering Overgrowth. If you'd like to see real-time news about Overgrowth, you can follow me on Twitter at @wolfire.

Be sure to watch it in HD!

The features highlighted in the above video are as follows (as well as some that didn't make it into the video):

  • New settings screen
  • Can change any graphics options without restart
  • New fullscreen system based on native desktop resolution
  • New system for vertical bounce during run animations
  • Key remapping UI
  • New game icon

Thanks as always for all the support! See you guys in IRC and the forums.

If you liked this video, be sure to subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Also, feel free to support us by preordering Overgrowth!

The Monk Comic

62 comments January 14th, 2014 by Aubrey Serr

There is a new Overgrowth comic that you can read here!

I have been trying all sorts of things to improve my skills as an artist in the last 6 months. Part of that was learning a lot of new tools, but another aspect was to reevaluate the skills I was already good at, like painting, and to continue to work on things I have been trying to learn for several years now, like storytelling. In the course of my studying, I realized I could do a new comic that was a lot better than the last one I did, and so I set to work on this:

Trying to improve existing skills is always a struggle, and I had my fair share of pitfalls on this project. I ended up trying out several art styles, and doing a lot of research. I came to understand and respect the work of existing comic artists a lot more by realizing why comic art is the way it is. It was a lot more work than I intended, but I'm happy with the final result. Don't forget to check out the new Overgrowth comic, The Monk!

I am still looking for ways to improve, so feel free to say how it compares to my previous comics in the comments!

Powered by Olark