Water In Lugaru 2

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

Should Lugaru 2 have large bodies of water/water dynamics

Yes
84%
No
6%
Dont care
10%

Total votes: 615

Count Roland

Re: Water In Lugaru 2

Post by Count Roland » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:31 pm

http://blog.wolfire.com/2006/03/ I had always assumed because of the two water article things in the lugaru 2 blog that there would have been water but ok.

marmorek

Post by marmorek » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:23 am

I hope there'll be water. The world would seem somehow incomplete without it.

mphasis

Water needs to be handled right.

Post by mphasis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:11 am

I do think Overgrowth could truly benefit from having water in it.
I personally don't care much for deep water, and rabbits don't swim that well from memory(Although that is up to the team).

Puddles, shallow streams, wet surfaces, and waterfalls would add a lot to the game such as:
-Being able to wash blood of clothes, weapons.
-Being able to clean cuts
-Crouching underneath, or standing/ holding other players underneath for a period of time could drown them
-Splashing could impair vision
-You could sneak up behind people by using some sort of reed to breath whilst crouching.
-Pushing people over on slippery/icy surfaces
-Show off weather when it affects the surface of the water(Rain, wind, maybe even leaves(I loved it in Morrowind when I first saw the rain create ripples on the water))
-Physical objects could float in water for fun!
-You could use them tactically to slow enemies down
->Some enemies may hate water and want to avoid it
-David's water experiments look beautiful :)
-You can just drown people if they go in the deep water around the island(It's better than an invisible wall or never seeing an epic coast from a cliff etc.)
-If people drown in deep water, you can use it as a hazard to throw people in.
-People could skim once or twice if they hit the surface fast.

I agree that this would take more time to do well, that Wolfire should focus on what it believes to be most important first, and to consider this if they believe it possible and worth their time.
I won't be disappointed if you choose not to have this in the game :).

mphasis

Is Overgrowth going to be more of a world?

Post by mphasis » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:16 am

Lugaru was brilliant, and had an empty world.
I think water would help convert terrain from just a platform to fight on, to an immersive, reactive world.
lol, If that's what your aiming for :D

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Water is way too common and important to be neglected; especially in this sort of setting. Honestly, if you worry about how good this game will look and feel, I think having basic water physics should be prioritized over those socalled "issues" of yours; no offense. I would simply - to start with - disable fighting in water, and make one universal swim animation to begin with, and see how far that gets me if you're really fighting with your deadline apparently so horribly short away.

I would be completely ripped out of Overgrowthland and back to my seat in front of my computer if I were to experience a lush world (ISLAND!) that lacked water in any form (rain doesn't really cut it). Sorry guys, but I don't follow your train of thought.

EDIT: And especially if you're going to continue using the engine for other things afterwards.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Nuky, it's simple. We're not super human. We'll see how it goes.

Anyways, you really don't want to meet the whale-men

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Yes yes, I know, I'm just saying. Sorry if it sounded a little harsh or something.
Not expecting you to do anything and everything; just saying it would be very, very weird without water. :)

Good luck, anyways. 8)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:40 pm

I only really want to do water if we can do it better than it has been done before. On the other hand, I think we probably can.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:56 pm

but time is money.
and a delayed deadline.
I have decided to just 'go with the flow'
pun intended and is awesome

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:15 pm

I have to say, one of the things that first attracted me to Lugaru 2 (besides how awesome the first Lugaru was) was how incredible those pictures of the water environments that David made were. I mean, those could have been paintings. So I guess I would be kind of sad if there was no water, just because it adds so much to the game aesthetically. I agree that if it can't be done better than other games it shouldn't be done, because in most games water just detracts because it looks so fake.

I also think it would be amazing if there were levels with sheer cliffs off of the island. Has anyone here read The Last Continent by Terry Pratchett?

mphasis

Trust Wolfire.

Post by mphasis » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 am

I trust Wolfire to do what they think is right with the game given the time.
To develop the things that will add the most to the game first, and to do their best given their deadlines.

I think they could do water well without implementing deep water, I won't say that it won't take them time, even getting the simple things to the level of Wolfire polish takes time.

Overgrowth will be awesome regardless of whether there is water or not, that's why YOU pre-ordered the game right?

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:54 am

Indeed. I just thought they set their own deadline, like most indies. And half a year (Q1 2009) is cutting it well close for a team of so few. :shock:
I guess they locked it when they started sending out mails to publishers or whatever?

Water is starting to look much better in many games these days, but if David says they can probably do it, they probably can. Whenever/ifever. :D

Derakon

Post by Derakon » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:14 pm

Remember that the Wolfire team only has so much time to get the game made -- they need to get it published so they can start getting the income from people buying the game. If this were just a hobby for them, then sure, they could publish whenever they wanted to. But it's not.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:34 pm

Nuky wrote:Indeed. I just thought they set their own deadline, like most indies. And half a year (Q1 2009) is cutting it well close for a team of so few. :shock:
I guess they locked it when they started sending out mails to publishers or whatever?
I am not sure about these other indies you're talking about, but we have very limited funds and simply can't afford to not release a game.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:42 pm

Yeah, sorry guys. I'm silly. :o
Honest.