Interesting Lighting Essay

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
bts800

Interesting Lighting Essay

Post by bts800 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Just found this on the internet and thought it was an interesting way to do lighting effects. I don't understand half of it, but I thought that since lighting is being implemented in-game right now, this could be kinda cool although it IS completely different from what is being done now.

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infini ... &Itemid=26

TheBigCheese

Re: Interesting Lighting Essay

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Holy crap! That's awesome!

30 FPS is a bit iffy, but for 5000 lights that's great, especially since they are all dynamic.

I really hope this, or a variation of the idea could be used in-game. There could be some pretty crazy scenes with dynamic lighting. Something like an evening level in a city, with each house having a lantern swinging in the wind. :mrgreen:

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:51 pm

I'd like to experiment with deferred lighting in the future, but it's not a good fit for Overgrowth. Having precise per-object shading control and anti-aliasing is more important to the look we are going for than having thousands of point lights. It might be useful for some of our other projects though!

Devilsclub

Post by Devilsclub » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:12 am

lighting in overgroth would be cool

idbeu

Post by idbeu » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am

Wow. That is neat. I like how it captures the essence of radiosity as well.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:59 pm

David wrote:I'd like to experiment with deferred lighting in the future, but it's not a good fit for Overgrowth. Having precise per-object shading control and anti-aliasing is more important to the look we are going for than having thousands of point lights. It might be useful for some of our other projects though!
If you ever figure it out, way after OG's done,and you feel you have some free time you'd like to spend on this, it'd be a brilliant update :wink: