In regards to acrobatics...

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Ein

In regards to acrobatics...

Post by Ein » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Now, let me first say that I understand the appeal of flashy acrobatics in video games. Who doesn't love running straight up a wall and doing a double corkscrew and landing carelessly? However, after watching and pondering over the recent blog topic of movement in Overgrowth (specifically in regards to the video on freerunning), I must ask: is all of this necessary?

Consider our main character: strong, agile, abnormal (in the respects to the average man) ability to leap great heights and travel vast areas in a single bound due to his species. These traits seem to beg for outrageously impressive acrobatics and the previously mentioned wall-running and corkscrews. In contrast and under my personal observations, Turner is an efficient killer who uses no extraneous energy in order to reach his goal.

My rambling leads to this: I propose that Turner's ability for acrobatics is limited to evasive techniques under complete necessity. Perhaps it is only a personal taste, but I feel the flips actually take away from the core gameplay which I crave.

May I also pose an alternative where the player is given the choice between a very acrobatic perhaps reckless killer or a very determined and efficient assassin (tie-in to the key story-line branches?).

Again, I do not want to make Overgrowth a chore, but I feel that the character is above and beyond the, for lack of better word, meaningless acrobatics.

Thank you for your time.

Tonjevic

Re: In regards to acrobatics...

Post by Tonjevic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Flips are cool. Even if you don't like them, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to do them. Turner should have that ability. If you don't want to perform certain actions, nothing's forcing you to.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:28 pm

I agree with the original post.

Pragmatic and practical beats excessive and ostentatious any day.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:36 pm

You are always given the choice between being a flashy and reckless fighter, or being an efficient assassin -- you're in control! Just because you are capable of doing walljumps and backflips all the time doesn't mean you have to. I don't really want to punish players who just want to have fun flipping all over the place, except that you will still get hurt if you land wrong :)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 am

If David hadn't reminded me of the amount of choices you'd be given, I would've agreed with the first post too... Now I'm just more eagerly waiting for OG to come out x3

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:44 pm

I never saw Turner as an efficient killer, especially since he slaughtered half of the island to get to one guy.

If we could jump around and flip and do crazy stuff in the first game, I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to do that or more in the second.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:26 pm

ahh but those were people who would've been in the way.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:29 pm

invertin wrote:he slaughtered half of the island to get to one guy.
And then the other half to get to another. :lol:

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:19 pm

Besides who says a vertical-wallrun-flipping-corkscrew-thing isn't efficient? Use it to surprise an enemy that's chasing you by landing behind him and sticking him with a knife.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Or doing the same thing, but stab them while they're in the air, then kicking the body into another enemy.
Or is that too confuzzling?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:16 pm

Ein wrote:My rambling leads to this: I propose that Turner's ability for acrobatics is limited to evasive techniques under complete necessity. Perhaps it is only a personal taste, but I feel the flips actually take away from the core gameplay which I crave.

May I also pose an alternative where the player is given the choice between a very acrobatic perhaps reckless killer or a very determined and efficient assassin (tie-in to the key story-line branches?).

Again, I do not want to make Overgrowth a chore, but I feel that the character is above and beyond the, for lack of better word, meaningless acrobatics.
Maybe we should just take away Turner's ability to do anything cool which doesn't conform to the standards of reality, such as jumping more than 6 feet off the ground or propelling other beings dozens of feet away with the use of his legs. Maybe we should change the title of the game to "Real Life".

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am

If we're going into the subject of reality here, maybe we should take a look at this.

I'm not suggesting we add old ladies and planes, but it's just the point on realism he makes that I'd like you all to grasp.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:05 am

I'm for having it all!

And how awesome would it be to have to fight some crazy mongoose/rat guy doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubFa9wGA ... re=related

Or to fight AS that Rat Style Master?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Maybe we should just take away Turner's ability to do anything cool which doesn't conform to the standards of reality, such as jumping more than 6 feet off the ground or propelling other beings dozens of feet away with the use of his legs. Maybe we should change the title of the game to "Real Life".
I think the point of the suggestion is that Turner still be able to do cool stuff, but do it in a practical and not excessively flashy manner.

At least, that's what I'd like see.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:55 am

Well that's not any fun at all, I want to backflip 10 times over an easily confused wolf and then impale him on a thumbtack.
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.