60%
No
10%
I don't care
30%

Total votes: 10

senectus

Post by senectus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:16 pm

Jeff wrote:Awesome. :) All future Wolfire games will be Linux for sure. There's really no excuse not to support it.
And as promised, You ported, I bought.
Am very much enjoying it.. especially seeing as I can play it on my laptop at work :-D
Nice piece of work guys... I look forward to the next incarnation.

BTW, has anyone done a performance analysis? Which platform it runs better on.. Win or Lin? ;-)

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:44 pm

senectus wrote:BTW, has anyone done a performance analysis? Which platform it runs better on.. Win or Lin? ;-)
I didn't do anything scientific, but I did observe that Lugaru seems to run a lot quicker and smoother in Linux.

senectus

Post by senectus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:51 pm

I had suspected as much.. it runs very smoothly on my laptop, and that's unusual...

Un(fortunately) I'm a Linux only guy now.. so out of my half a dozen PC's I don't have a single win machine to test with :-P

fattatos

Post by fattatos » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:55 am

zip wrote:Except those who run Lugaru on a PPC, nobody makes linux builds for PPC :P
I see you have posted teh same question thrice. Sure there is!

Its not called a "build", its called a distribution and there are tons of them for ppc... one example is http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

I knew some more but my memory fails me at this time...

now the question is, why run a propertiary os like osx!? :D

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:45 am

fattatos wrote:
zip wrote:Except those who run Lugaru on a PPC, nobody makes linux builds for PPC :P

Its not called a "build", its called a distribution and there are tons of them for ppc... one example is http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

Sorry, I have been misunderstood but it's my fault, allow me to clarify.
I meant nobody makes builds of their software, for the PPC architecture and Linux OS, except of course for a very few linux distros(I run Ubuntu).

fattatos

Post by fattatos » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:44 pm

zip wrote:
fattatos wrote:

Sorry, I have been misunderstood but it's my fault, allow me to clarify.
I meant nobody makes builds of their software, for the PPC architecture and Linux OS, except of course for a very few linux distros(I run Ubuntu).
What?

You mean "nobody" makes apps for both linux and mac!?
Lugaru :p

Or no linux distro distributes linux apps for both ppc and x86?

In case of first one, well lugaru...
In case of second meaning, almost every linux app can be compiled for mac aswell as for x86 and a bunch of other archs, and there are plenty linux distros that do this for you so that you just have to install a certain app on linux running on ppc just as you would if it was running on x86. ^o).
A example, gnome can run on ppc, its a big app... kde aswell and with it its koffice programs and stuff.. then I belive openoffice should run on mac, but since I have no experience I cant tell for sure, but see for your self at http://www.openoffice.org/

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:56 pm

/me does not see PPC build for linux.
In case of second meaning, almost every linux app can be compiled for mac aswell as for x86 and a bunch of other archs, and there are plenty linux distros that do this for you so that you just have to install a certain app on linux running on ppc just as you would if it was running on x86. ^o).
A example, gnome can run on ppc, its a big app... kde aswell and with it its koffice programs and stuff.. then I belive openoffice should run on mac, but since I have no experience I cant tell for sure, but see for your self at http://www.openoffice.org/
I run linux on a PPC, obviously there is some software available, OpenOffice being one. Note however the key word, OpenOffice. If it wasn't open source then running OpenOffice on your linux equipped mac would be extremely unlikely.
Software that is not open source is almost never available for PPC linux users

zborgerd

Post by zborgerd » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:08 pm

zip wrote:Sorry, I have been misunderstood but it's my fault, allow me to clarify.
LGP does with many of their games:

http://linuxgamepublishing.com/

Ballistics is coming out soon, and it should be compiled for PPC chips as well as x86 compatible. Hard to tell how well it will perform though, as binary video drivers are in a pretty sad state for PPC Linux, and opensource drivers (even for the older ATI cores) have insubstantial features and speed.

fattatos

Post by fattatos » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:42 am

zip wrote:
/me does not see PPC build for linux.
I run linux on a PPC, obviously there is some software available, OpenOffice being one. Note however the key word, OpenOffice. If it wasn't open source then running OpenOffice on your linux equipped mac would be extremely unlikely.
Software that is not open source is almost never available for PPC linux users
What the...

Do you even know what " PPC build for linux" means!?

So you dont like software being open/free? Even if you see the advantadge that it will run on mac but proprietary software you like and seek?

Software that is not free software for mac is almost never available for linux users on x86... We see the discrimination goes both ways, so I would stop whining about only ppc/mac and start bashing the real problem, proprietary software, osx and windoz!

And I think you could aswell say "Software that is not open source is almost never available for linux users" in general wheter they sit on ppc od x86. Aswell as software that is not open source for windows is almost never available for ppc/osx.

So we see the windows is the real problem here, as well as macosx. ;)

Burn them all!

Edit: I personaly strive for running only free software, one of the reasons being the problems both you and I are aware of, corporate lock-in problems. So why the heck should I want to run ms office when open office exists!?!?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:43 am

What the...
Do you even know what " PPC build for linux" means!?
That would be an application compiled for the Linux OS and PPC processor?
So you dont like software being open/free? Even if you see the advantadge that it will run on mac but proprietary software you like and seek?
I very much like software being open and free, it increases the chances I will be able to find a binary for my rather unusual OS/hardware combination, or compile it myself.
Software that is not free software for mac is almost never available for linux users on x86... We see the discrimination goes both ways, so I would stop whining about only ppc/mac and start bashing the real problem, proprietary software, osx and windoz!
By mac I presume you mean Mac OS X?
Since I have not mentioned the lack of linux/windows products being ported to OS X I am not sure why you are bringing this up as if you were challenging me.. I await for you to clarify.
And I think you could aswell say "Software that is not open source is almost never available for linux users" in general wheter they sit on ppc od x86. Aswell as software that is not open source for windows is almost never available for ppc/osx.
You could indeed, I wasn't disagreeing
Edit: I personaly strive for running only free software, one of the reasons being the problems both you and I are aware of, corporate lock-in problems. So why the heck should I want to run ms office when open office exists!?!?
You shouldn't.

Chameleon

Post by Chameleon » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:39 am

Madd the Sane wrote:will it run on zeta, AKA BeOS R6? It should be easy to port it. This game could turn into the biggest, best game for all OSes! :D :shock: :D
I talked with Eugenia Loli-Query (she used to work on the BeOS team and started OSNews.com) about the possibility of porting Lugaru to BeOS.

She said it wouldn't be worth the time for two reasons:
  1. * No hardware OpenGL acceleration... It would be very slow. Like <5 FPS slow.
    * Hardly any users... Including Zeta, there's probably <10,000 users world-wide. Not all of them will like this game, especially considering point 1.
She suggested instead that the developer recompile the Linux port for FreeBSD. She felt that it would be a simple re-compile with no code changes necessary.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:45 am

Here is the latest version of Lugaru for Linux:
http://www.wolfiles.com/lugaru-linux-x86-1.0.zip

This is a new version that Ryan sent today, it fixes the startup crash on older CPUs, and uses memory more efficiently.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:09 am

@Chameleon 5 FPS is not slow! That is what I get with Lugaru...

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:34 am

:!:
Last edited by Usagi on Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:22 am

I have a terrible computer-I just turn everything down and voila! A nice 5-10 FPS is good enough for anybody.